The following list of links is intended to be exclusive rather than exhaustive. We hope you like these sites as much as we do. Please email us if you have any suggestions for interesting and quality sites.
OF INTEREST IN SOUTH AFRICA
- Johannesburg Chapter of the Astronomical Society of Southern Africa
- ICON Games Convention This event takes place once a year, usually the third weekend in July.
- SFSA: the South Australian Doctor Who Fan Club, Inc. "Currently we produce a bi-monthly newsletter (The Wall of Lies), three to five issues of our regular club-zine (SFSA) and a Doctor Who themed yearbook (Chameleon Factor)."
- Geek Culture ZA: a partnership with the Geek Culture Blog and Land of Gamers Connecting all Geeks in the Community, including local streamers, gaming and geek groups, venues, and service providers.
- FreeArt They offer free, gallery-quality 8x10" art prints and a wide variety of wall art and decor. Their idea is to give away the 8x10" prints free of charge (shipping/handling not included), with the hope that people may be interested in their other pieces. They currently have over 22,000 pieces of sci-fi art
- Science Fiction Weekly An excellent weekly magazine with SF news, book, movie and website reviews.
- SF Crowsnest Europe's Most Visited SF Site.
- Ansible Dave Langford's monthly newsletter. Covers the UK primarily, but contains news and gossip from all over the world. Comes out within the first week of the month. Dave Langford is famous for his Hugo collection.
- Locus THE monthly trade magazine for the USA. Monthly best seller lists, interviews, etc. Most of the meat of its paper publication is not online.
ONLINE BOOK AND OTHER STORES
- amazon.com One of the biggest and best online booksellers. They have over a million titles in stock and deliver all over the world.
- Exclusive Books Online Exclusive Books, a South African chain of book stores, also has an online store, stocking more books than at its physical branches. Books also turn up a good three weeks earlier, and delivery to your nearest physical Exclusives store is free!
- Animeworx Local supplier of all things Anime. Check out their online store, and go and visit their Brightwater Commons shop.
- Amazing Stories
- Critter Workshop Critters is an on-line workshop/critique group for aspiring and practicing writers of science fiction, fantasy, and horror. The way it works is that you have to critique a number of stories each month in order to earn the privilege of having your own story critiqued. Your story is guaranteed a fair number of critiques due to the huge number of critters out there, some of whom are professional writers. This workshop is impressive and demonstrates what a valuable resource the Internet can be.
- Writers & Illustrators of the Future Established by L. Ron Hubbard in 1983, this is an annual competition aimed at discovering and publishing aspiring writers and illustrators. We also have contact with the local representative of this competition, and can assist with your entry.
Amazing Stories was not accepting new stories the last time we checked. But they promise to open again soon. Check their website for details.CALL FOR AUTHORS!
Amazing Stories is looking for short stories that are fresh and new. We want to be surprised. We want your stories to be amazing. We want to be blown away by your style, your grand ideas and the substance and depth of your writing.
TV & MOVIES
- StarTrek.com The official Star Trek site. Daily hosted chats on Star Trek topics, cast biographies, details of every episode produced as well as upcoming episodes, the Klingon Compendium, the Starfleet Science Institute, and more.
- Star Wars What more is there to say?
- SF Site This is THE science fiction meta-site. From the "Baseball in Science Fiction" story list to the "The Society for Creative Anachronism", this site has links to everything and anything SF! SF Site also hosts a number of top quality science fiction sites, a couple of which are mentioned on this page.
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia Entry on science fiction.
SFFSA SOCIAL MEDIAFacebook group: Science Fiction & Fantasy South Africa.
SFFSA on Twitter @SciFiZa